You have now reached a very critical stage in conversion to QuickBooks desktop process. Even if you’ve followed all the steps, you can’t pass this final stage in the desktop.
Please give this a try if you’re getting the following error:
The “Convert Now” button (it fails at step 4) stage and get the error from QuickBooks Pro Desktop: “QuickBooks already has a company file open…”
All these steps are probably not necessary, but it’s what worked in some test.
1. Open a Sample company, select a Services-based sample company
2. Close the company and go back to the No Company Open screen
3. Click the menu bar Help –> Activate QuickBooks Desktop (this may need to do this but did it anyway)
4. Click the Activate button
5. Close the “We just need to verify your identity to activate” browser window, return to the No Company Open screen
6. BIG HOPE!!! Start the conversion process again with QBO. Again, hopefully, it will work with no error message!
Inventory feature in QuickBooks Desktop can track the current number in stock and the value of your inventory after every purchase and sell the items to your customers. With QuickBooks Desktop Premier or QuickBooks Enterprise versions, you can even keep track of products you assemble and resell (finished goods), adding assembled units to inventory and deducting component units from inventory when you build assembly items.
To start with, you may want to be familiar with these basic steps related to questions about Tracking Inventory in QuickBooks:
1) To turn on Inventory: Go to Edit menu at the top > select Preferences > choose Inventory & Items > Company Preferences > checkbox “Inventory & Purchase Orders are active” > click OK.
2) Create Inventory Items: Go to Lists menu at the top > Items List > Select Item tab at the bottom > click Item (or drop-down arrow) and select New > Type = Inventory Part and create a new item.
These three fields are important to set up inventory items. See screenshot sample.
For COGS Account field = Cost of Goods Sold account type from the Chart of accounts
For Income Account field = Income account type from the Chart of Accounts
For Asset Account field = Inventory Asset account which is part of the Other Current Asset on the Chart of Accounts
You do not want to put in On Hand/Total Value info here.
3) For adding purchased Inventory items: Use Enter Bills under Vendor menu at the top or Write Checks menu under Banking at the top. Always use ITEMS tab, never Expenses tab.
4) For selling Inventory items: Create Invoice (or Sales Receipt). Use ITEM Code in the sales form. This will also automatically post COGS to P&L by reducing inventory counts.
If you need more info, you can always click HELP menu at the top and select QuickBooks Desktop Help and type INVENTORY HELP in the search field. If interested, you can also watch my famous how to inventory video tutorials on YouTube.
QuickBooks Desktop Part 10: Inventory – All you need to know about QuickBooks Inventory
Set up multi-user or network for QuickBooks Desktop
The following articles can help you get started if this is your first time to install and use QuickBooks Desktop in a multi-user or network environment. Follow the steps in the order shown below.
Installation and setup
Install QuickBooks Desktop
Add Windows admin rights to allow configuration of multi user access
Map a network drive (optional)
Configure Firewall and Internet security settings for QuickBooks Desktop
Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and scan your file
Open a company file that is located on a remote computer
Note: If you are a new QuickBooks user, after installing Create a QuickBooks Desktop company file first before doing step 2.
Also, see helpful article:
How to Install QuickBooks Desktop
BUY QUICKBOOKS PRODUCTS
QuickBooks 2018 Desktop New Features Video Playlist
QuickBooks 2018 Desktop New Features List – Video Tutorials
1. Switch to Multi-Monitor mode
2. (WARNING Display scaling to 100%)
3. Stay Logged in
4. Search in Chart of Accounts
5. Cash-Accrual Toggle on Reports
6. Show Past Due stamp on invoices
7. More secure Webmail
8. Copy and Paste Line Keyboard shortcuts
9. Payroll Liability Reminder Badge (US Enhanced Payroll)
10. Merge duplicate vendors (Accountant only)
11. Enhanced Inventory Reports (not available in QB Pro)
QuickBooks Enterprise Platinum and Accountant:
- Enhanced Sales Order Fulfillment
- Mobile Barcode Scanner Support
Here is a list of the past release dates of QuickBooks.
Release dates of QuickBooks
|QuickBooks Version||Release Date
|QuickBooks 2018||September 26, 2017
|QuickBooks 2017||September 27, 2016
|QuickBooks 2016||September 25, 2015
|QuickBooks 2015||September 22, 2014
|QuickBooks 2014||September 23, 2013
|QuickBooks 2013||September 10, 2012
|QuickBooks 2012||September 26, 2011